Katie Finalizing

Katie in full colour
The pattern design is finished, now to write it up!

And…it’s green! Very green! The white is a bright white too, so that could be making the green look more vibrant.

Katie in Black & White
Experimenting with Photoshop to see more of the pattern – less of the green!

Using the black & white ability of Photoshop, it’s easier for me to see the pattern when I’m writing it up.

Advertisements

Katie Experimenting & Pinning

Katie pattern pinned
Pinning out Katie while modifying the pattern

As I’m doing my new pattern Katie up in white and kelly green I decided to make changes to row 5. Just to be sure it is working out, I decided to wash and pin out the doily.

I always pin (and usually starch) my doilies once they are finished, but I decided to stop and pin part way through on this one! Which works out well because I only have this many pins!

Now to adjust rows 6 and 7 and finish it up!

 

Katie – Experimenting & Documenting

Katie's rows
Katie’s various rows documented on my iPad with Adobe Draw

While putting together the Katie pattern – which has taken a lot of experimentation – I have also been experimenting with a new tool… my iPad, Apple Pencil and Adobe Draw. It’s been a learning experience all round – I love it!

Here you see images of the work in progress. When I have a row the way I want it, I stop and take a photo and then write how many stitches I’ve used on top of the photo.

After I’ve washed, pinned and ironed the doily I will reassess and then finalize and document the pattern. I use both written instructions (example, 7ds 1picot 7ds) and a visual pattern I will create with Adobe Illustrator, and I may include photos of the work in progress. I really enjoy this part!

And I’ve ordered some nice bright white and kelly green thread to make the versions of this doily that I will sell on my Etsy store. So I will be making colour choices for each row… fun!

Lydia – Inspiration 1

Lydia Anne Orr Inspiration
This simple little design – the outer ring of it – from Anne Orr Tatting Book No. 48 from 1950 looks like a good starting point.

After a quick wander through one of my favourite old tatting books, I’ve found a simple little design that I think will look good for my newest doily design. This is from the Anne Orr Tatting Book No. 48. This is a medallion, there is also an edging which uses the outer ring of this design on the next page in the book. Obviously a useful design that can be adapted easily.

One change that I will make to this pattern is to use 2 shuttles rather than 1. The flipping to make a ring that goes in with the same shuttle means a twist in the design, which I don’t like. It’s hard to see in this image, but when I did a test of the pattern the twist was obvious. This often happens with the old patterns.

Katie Experimenting 2

second step on Katie experiment
A good start, a few modifications still needed on this, and then more to come.

Working with some thinner thread as I progress towards a pattern, this is a version pinned to a pillow so I can see it all and think about what’s next.

The variegated thread is not really helping me see the pattern.

second step on Katie in Black & White
Black & White version of Katie Experiment 2

Doing a bit of photoshopping on the image lets me see the pattern a bit better. The open netting kind of feeling I want for this pattern may work… I need to experiment some more.