Thread Sizing between Manufacturers

I am currently planning to switch thread manufacturers because the DMC thread is harder for me to source (the reliability of sites like Herschners.ca is very disappointing) and because the colours offered by DMC are not being updated with new choices. The Lizbeth thread is very commonly praised by other tatters on their blogs, so I am trying it out.

The shocking part is that the sizes of Lizbeth and DMC threads are wildly different!

The higher the number, the thinner the thread, the smaller the finished tatting should be. But this only applies within the brand!

DMC8 Lizbeth10
DMC size 8 smaller than Lizbeth size 10

Doing completely the opposite to what I was expecting, Size 8 in DMC makes a much smaller snowflake than Size 10 in Lizbeth.

DMC12 Lizbeth20 Florence
DMC 12 smaller than Lizbeth size 20

I though size 20 would be much smaller than size 12, but it turns out it makes much bigger doilies.

DMC12 Lizbeth20
DMC size 12 smaller than Lizbeth size 20 closer view
DMC8 Lizbeth20
DMC size 8 compared to Lizbeth size 20

Even when comparing DMC size 8 to Lizbeth size 20 is a shock – they are close to the same!

Pincushion Jackie Experimenting 3

Jackie Side start
Starting the side with a repeat of the clusters from the top

After a reset on the side, I started with repeating the clusters from the top.

Jackie Side start 2
Continuing the side with a repeat of the clusters from the top

Still doing the repeat, with a mirror image of the top.

Jackie Side start 3
Adding a new element between clusters

For a new attempt at the side, a departure from the clusters. Note that joining at the picots was necessary. I started without the joins but that let the work flop and fold around the side, so I redid the work making all the joins.

Jackie Side continues
Continuing along with more repeats of the clusters

Put onto the pincushion, this side pattern repeat seems to be working.

This is not enough to complete the pattern, I will need additional row(s) for this pattern.

Pincushion Jackie Experimenting 2

Jackie Side 1st Attempt
First attempt at putting a side on the Jackie Pincushion

This was an experiment that did not turn out well.

The excess of tatting is shown in the image, there is just too much for the side.

On the good side, having the pincushion to use while experimenting is working really well. Putting the tatting on the pincushion means I don’t have to imagine what it will look like, it’s obvious!