After a reset on the side, I started with repeating the clusters from the top.
Still doing the repeat, with a mirror image of the top.
For a new attempt at the side, a departure from the clusters. Note that joining at the picots was necessary. I started without the joins but that let the work flop and fold around the side, so I redid the work making all the joins.
Put onto the pincushion, this side pattern repeat seems to be working.
This is not enough to complete the pattern, I will need additional row(s) for this pattern.
Using the inspiration cluster and swoop for the top of Jackie works well. Note that this did need to be altered once I started working on the side… the clusters worked well in a ring with 13 repeats of the cluster, but the uneven number made the side very difficult!
As my kitchen renovation carries on (and on and on) I am continuing on with creating new patterns (so I’m not risking getting dust into anything I want to keep as final). So I’m thinking another pincushion!
This inspiration piece is from a German pattern book called Neue Schiffchenspitzen. The book is very old – I found it online at: Georgia Seitz
I like the clusters of rings and the big swoop chains around them. I didn’t count the number of stitches in the pattern, and I don’t bother trying to read patterns on the old pieces I use for inspiration too much. The patterns are frequently wrong in these old books.
So I will create my own pattern from here. J is next in my list of names for tatting patterns, so I think this will be Jackie. I’ve known some really great women named Jackie.