Pincushion Jackie Experimenting 3

Jackie Side start
Starting the side with a repeat of the clusters from the top

After a reset on the side, I started with repeating the clusters from the top.

Jackie Side start 2
Continuing the side with a repeat of the clusters from the top

Still doing the repeat, with a mirror image of the top.

Jackie Side start 3
Adding a new element between clusters

For a new attempt at the side, a departure from the clusters. Note that joining at the picots was necessary. I started without the joins but that let the work flop and fold around the side, so I redid the work making all the joins.

Jackie Side continues
Continuing along with more repeats of the clusters

Put onto the pincushion, this side pattern repeat seems to be working.

This is not enough to complete the pattern, I will need additional row(s) for this pattern.

Pincushion Jackie Experimenting 2

Jackie Side 1st Attempt
First attempt at putting a side on the Jackie Pincushion

This was an experiment that did not turn out well.

The excess of tatting is shown in the image, there is just too much for the side.

On the good side, having the pincushion to use while experimenting is working really well. Putting the tatting on the pincushion means I don’t have to imagine what it will look like, it’s obvious!

Pincushion Irene Experimenting 2

Irene Side First Try
Possible row 3 for Irene echoes the set of three rings, but spacing is not good.

I think echoing the pattern from the top of the pincushion is a good idea, but my first attempt is not satisfying.

Irene Side
Row 3 with better spacing, and repeating the set of 3 rings nicely.

Now this side is very appealing. It is delicate and has the three rings again, and is not stressed or pulled.

Pincushion Irene Experimenting 1

Irene first try
First attempt to modify pattern Helga to make 8 points for a pincushion pattern.

First attempts to modify the pattern Helga to create a pincushion I will call Irene… needs some work.

The first, middle row is too small, so the second row buckles too much. Putting it on my sample pincushion shows it will not sit flat on the cushion.

Irene First Try Cut
Irene with first row cut to see if spacing of second row would work with a different first row.

The fun of experimenting – I get to cut the first attempt to pieces!

This shows that the second row may actually work well, if I do something different with the first row.

Irene Top Pattern
Rows 1 and 2 complete for a new pattern that has potential.

And there we have it… a new first row. And the second row works well around it. The first row now has the flavour of the 3 little rings I liked so much from the inspiration pattern, so I’m very happy with this.

Sample Summer on Cushion

Summer on cushion
Top of sample pincushion Summer on a good size cushion

So once again, the colour combination is not great, but I’ve pinned the sample Summer pincushion on the test cushion. This is the correct size cushion for the pattern from the book. I’ve noted in a previous post that the tatting does not sit flat on a flat surface, but here you can see it sits very well on the cushion. So the pattern I want to create must sit well on a cushion, not on a flat surface.

Summer fishnet on cushion
Fishnet side of Summer pincushion on a cushion

I really didn’t like the fishnet side of the sample Summer pattern when I started making it, and I did only one of the 3 rows the pattern called for. Here you can see, it actually looks quite nice on the cushion. I may need to rethink the fishnet.

Summer overhang correctly
Correctly placed Summer edge on pincushion with fringe sticking out

Here it may be a bit hard to notice, but the part of the Summer pattern that has a fringe sticking out over the edge lands directly on the top to side seam on the cushion.