After my long break from the pattern, Hannah looks good to go! I’ve done it in purple… maybe not the best colour for a snowflake, but good for the experimentation phase!
After a long break, the Helga pattern is done and the experiment with white and purple thread looks good! Well, the colours are quite extreme… maybe not purple.
After a long time without working on the Heathers patterns I have come back to them! And the Harriet pattern is disappointing so far.
I tried adding in some rings inside the pattern, and they just look messy.
I’ve also experimented with the “donuts” purple inside white, rather than the alternating colours as I did with the first experiment. As you can see with the larger thread… the base of each one looks awkward, and the size of the joins is very variable. This is likely because I am using rings inside the donuts, where most donuts are done with chains. I will need to rethink this pattern.
I’m quite pleased with the results of taking the points from the inspiration medallion, adding my own favourite 3-5-3 clover to the tips of the points, and calling it a snowflake!
This pattern came together quite easily. So my drive to get 6 easy snowflake patterns created within about a week has worked! They’ve all seemed to come together logically.
Once again I go to an old tatting pattern book: Anne Orr Tatting #35 for inspiration. I like the points on this four sided medallion. I will experiment with making a six-pointed snowflake from the points I see here.
While experimenting with the Hannah pattern I’ve stumbled on something I think will look very nice, but is not the Hannah pattern.
The two points at the bottom in this image are the keepers. The new centre is good – it turns the centre from Hannah inwards, so the rings start in the centre and makes a new row. And the points will give the diamond shapes I was wanting to have in Hannah that didn’t quite work out.
This will be a whole new design called Helga.
An easy and open pattern first experiment. I will try again with longer points (see the point on top). I’m not sure if I’ve captured the diamond shape that I wanted to keep, so I will see if the longer point is more satisfying.