While putting together the Katie pattern – which has taken a lot of experimentation – I have also been experimenting with a new tool… my iPad, Apple Pencil and Adobe Draw. It’s been a learning experience all round – I love it!
Here you see images of the work in progress. When I have a row the way I want it, I stop and take a photo and then write how many stitches I’ve used on top of the photo.
After I’ve washed, pinned and ironed the doily I will reassess and then finalize and document the pattern. I use both written instructions (example, 7ds 1picot 7ds) and a visual pattern I will create with Adobe Illustrator, and I may include photos of the work in progress. I really enjoy this part!
And I’ve ordered some nice bright white and kelly green thread to make the versions of this doily that I will sell on my Etsy store. So I will be making colour choices for each row… fun!
After a quick wander through one of my favourite old tatting books, I’ve found a simple little design that I think will look good for my newest doily design. This is from the Anne Orr Tatting Book No. 48. This is a medallion, there is also an edging which uses the outer ring of this design on the next page in the book. Obviously a useful design that can be adapted easily.
One change that I will make to this pattern is to use 2 shuttles rather than 1. The flipping to make a ring that goes in with the same shuttle means a twist in the design, which I don’t like. It’s hard to see in this image, but when I did a test of the pattern the twist was obvious. This often happens with the old patterns.
Whilst waiting for new thread for continuing to experiment with my Katie pattern (the thread I had was not inspiring) I idly put together some simple circles with some nice Spring-like thread. That gave me an idea for a new pattern I will call Lydia.
Spring is coming, and shamrocks are on my mind… so my newest pattern that I will call Katie will be full of shamrocks.
This photo has a lot of experiments on the start of the pattern. I started with the little shamrocks in the middle and tried to figure out how to join them. Then I thought some bigger ones could be added. The stitches in between are full of small rings in case I want to join something to the base design.