This recipe calls for heaping teaspoons of spices, we like to make our cookies very tasty! The pecans or walnuts are optional but add a nice crunch to these cookies.
Ingredients (makes 40 cookies)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts slightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 heaping teaspoon nutmeg (fresh ground or pre-ground)
- 1 heaping teaspoon ginger (fresh ground or dried pre-ground)
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon ground cloves
Instructions for Pumpkin Spike Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Combine flour, oat bran, pecans or walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger (if using dried ginger), and cloves in medium bowl.
Cream butter and brown sugar together in large bowl. Beat in egg – beat well for fluffy cookies. Blend in ginger (if using fresh ginger), vanilla and pumpkin puree. (This may look a bit like curdled milk, but that is OK, the cookies will be fine.)
Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix well.
Spoon by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes. Cookies are done when set but not browned. Transfer cookies to rack to cool.